Autori: Orsolya Horber, Karoly Zilahi
Editorial: Programme Book, VI Meeting of the International Society for the History of Medicine, Barcelona(Spain) 7-10 September 2011, Poster Presentation, p.137, 154, 2011.
The relationship between medicine and natural sciences was closer in earlier times of the history of medicine in Transylvania than today: at the end of the 18th century, physicians and surgeons of the Comitats (the regional administrative divisions) collected minerals and plants for the museums of natural sciences and for the high school biology labs. In 1763, physicians were obliged to study and describe the mineral waters of each Comitat.100 years ago, K. Glinka, a Russian geologist, published an article in a Geography magazine on the structure and composition of the soil of Bixad, Oas region, in the north-west of Transylvania. The waters, rich in mineral salts, were used as a „drinking cure” for lung disease. At that time, Bixad was a spa: the good climate and the rich waters ensured the best health. The therapy was supervised by medical specialists. The discovery of the therapeutic proterties of Bixad’s mineral water had an empirical basis. Later, research confirmed Nature. Geologists, chemists and physicians worked together to improve the health of patients. It was a sort of classical interdisciplinarity, which would revive in the modern era of medicine
Cuvinte cheie: natural sciences, medicne, interdisciplinarity