Scopul nostru este sprijinirea şi promovarea cercetării ştiinţifice şi facilitarea comunicării între cercetătorii români din întreaga lume.
IEAT: Joined in March 2007, as a fellow of a Marie Curie International Reintegration Grant. Between October 2010 and May 2012 I was also affiliated with the Center for the Study of Complexity, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj, Romania. Technical Staff Member, Los Alamos National Laboratory, September 2001 - February 2007. Director's Fellow (postdoc), Los Alamos National Laboratory, (September 1999-August 2001). Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Rochester (1999).B.D. Mathematics, University of Bucharest (1994)
e-Austria Research Institute and West University of Timisoara, Timisoara, Romania.
E-mail: trimite un mesaj.
Nascut(a) in: 1970
Interese: complexitatea calculului, metode probabiliste in analiza algoritmilor, tranzitii de faza in probleme combinatoriale, bazele matematice ale sistemelor complexe, simularea sistemelor tehnico-sociale, teoria jocurilor, metode combinatoriale si algoritmice in economie si computer networking
Afiliat Institutului E-Austria, Timisoara, Romania din Martie 2007. Intre Octombrie 2010 si Mai 2012 am fost de asemenea afiliat Centrului Pentru Studiul Complexitatii, Universitatea Babes-Bolyai, Cluj, Romania.
Cercetator, Discrete Simulation Science group (CCS-5),Computer and Computational Sciences Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Mail Stop M 997, Los Alamos NM 87545. Septembrie 2001 - Februarie 2007.
Director's Fellow (cercetator postdoctoral), Los Alamos National Laboratory, (September 1999-August 2001).
Doctor in Informatica, Department of Computer Science, University of Rochester (1999). Titlul tezei: "Phase transitions in Combinatorial Search Problems. Towards rigorous results".
Licentiat in Matematica, Universitatea Bucuresti (1994)
* Cosmin Bonchis, Gabriel Istrate, Vlad Rochian, The language (and series) of Hammersley-type processes, Proceedings of the 8th Conference on Machines, Computations and Universality (MCU'18), June 28-30, 2018, Fontainebleau, France, Lecture Notes in Computer Science< Springer Verlag, 2018 (to appear).
* Zoltan Neda, Larissa Davidova, Szerena Ujvari, Gabriel Istrate, Gambler's ruin problem on Erdos-Renyi graphs, Elsevier, Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, 468, 2017.
* Gabriel Istrate, Cosmin Bonchis, Liviu P. Dinu, The Minimum Entropy Submodular Set Cover Problem, Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Language and Automata Theory and Applications (LATA' 2016), Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 9618, Springer Verlag, 2016.
* Gabriel Istrate, Cosmin Bonchiș, Heapability, interactive particle systems, partial orders: results and open problems, Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Descriptive Complexity of Formal Systems (DCFS'2016), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 9777, Springer Verlag, 2016.
* James Aisenberg, Maria Luisa Bonet, Sam Buss, Adrian Craciun and Gabriel Istrate, Short Proofs of the Kneser-Lovász Coloring Principle, Information and Computation, 2018.
* Gabriel Istrate, Cosmin Bonchis, Partition into heapable sequences, heap tableaux and a multiset extension of Hammersley’s process, Proceedings of the 26th Annual Symposium on Combinatorial Pattern Matching (CPM'2015), Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 9133, Springer Verlag, 2015.
* Gabriel Istrate, Reachability and Recurrence in a Modular Generalization of Annihilating Random Walks (and lights-out games) to hypergraphs, Theoretical Computer Science, 580, 2015.
* Gabriel Istrate, Identifying almost-sorted permutations from TCP buffer dynamics, Scientific Annals of Computer Science (special issue dedicated to professor Sergiu Rudeanu's 80th birthday), XXV (1), 2015.
* Gabriel Istrate, Cosmin Bonchis, Mircea Marin, Interactive Particle Systems and Random Walks on Hypergraphs, 10th International Workshop on Developments in Computational Models (DCM'14), 2014.
* Mircea Marin and Gabriel Istrate, Learning cover context-free grammars from structural data, Springer Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Proceedings of the 11th International Colloquium on Theoretical Aspects of Computing (ICTAC'14), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Verlag, 2014.
* Gabriel Istrate, Adrian Craciun, Proof complexity and the Lovasz-Kneser Theorem, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Verlag, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Theory and Applications of Satisfiability Testing (SAT'14), vol. 8561, 2014.
* C. Bonchis and G. Istrate, Improved approximation algorithms for low-density instances of the Minimum Entropy Set Cover Problem, Information Processing Letters, 114(7), 2014.
* Gabriel Istrate, Geometric Properties of Satisfying Assignments of random $epsilon$-1-in-k SAT, International Journal of Computer Mathematics, 86(12), 2009.
* Gabriel Istrate, On the dynamics of Social Balance on general networks (with an application to XOR-SAT), Maurice Margenstern and Jerome Durand-Lose (special issue editors), Fundamenta Informaticae, 91 (2), 2009.
* Allon Percus, Gabriel Istrate, Bruno Tavares Gonçalves, Robert Z. Sumi, Stefan Boettcher , The Peculiar Phase Structure of Random Graph Bisection, Journal of Mathematical Physics, 49 (12), 2008.
* Gabriel Istrate, Dissecting the Artificial: The Adversarial Scheduling approach to validating Game-Theoretic models and Social Simulations, Proceedings of the Fifth Conference of the European Social Simulation Association (ESSA'08), Brescia, Italy, September 1-5, 2008.
* Gabriel Istrate, Stochastic Stability in Schelling's Segregation Model with Contagion, 5th European Conference on Complex Systems (ECCS'08), Jerusalem, Israel, September 14-19, 2008.
* Gabriel Istrate, Grammatical Inference and Symbolic Dynamics, 5th European Conference on Complex Systems (ECCS'08), Jerusalem, Israel, September 14-19, 2008, 2008.
* Gabriel Istrate, Madhav V. Marathe, S.S. Ravi, Adversarial Scheduling Analysis of Game-Theoretic Models of Norm Diffusion, Springer Verlag, Arnold Beckmann, Costas Dimitracopoulos, and Benedikt Löwe, Proceedings of the Fourth Computability in Europe Conference (CIE'2008), Lecture Notes in Computer Science vol. 5028, 2008.
* Gabriel Istrate, Satisfying assignments of boolean random Constraint Satisfaction Problems: Clusters and Overlaps, Journal of Universal Computer Science, 13(11), 2007.
* Anders Hansson, Gabriel Istrate, Counting preimages of TCP reordering patterns, Discrete Applied Mathematics, 156(17), 2008.
* Gabriel Istrate, Anders Hansson, Charles D. Tallman, Leticia Cuellar-Hengartner and Nicolas Hengartner, Towards Generative Activity-based Models for Large-scale Socio-technical Simulations, Argonne National Laboratory, D. Sallach, C. Macal and M. North, Proceedings of The AGENT 2006 Conference "Social Agents. Results and Prospects", ANL/DIS-06-7, ISBN 0-9679178-7-9, co-sponsored by Argonne National Laboratory and The University of Chicago, 2006.
* Gabriel Istrate, Anders Hansson and Guanhua Yan, Packet Reordering Metrics: Some Methodological Considerations, IEEE Computer Society Press, ISBN 0-7695-2622-5, Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Networking and Services (ICNS'06), Workshop on Internet Packet Dynamics, San Jose CA, 2006.
* Anders Hansson, Gabriel Istrate and Shiva Prasad Kasiviswanathan, Combinatorics of TCP Reordering, Springer Verlag, Journal of Combinatorial Optimization, 12 (1-2), 2006.
* Gabriel Istrate, Anders Hansson, Madhav V. Marathe, Sunil Thulasidasan and Christopher L. Barrett, Semantic compression of TCP traces, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3976, Springer Verlag, Proceedings of the IFIP NETWORKING Conference, F. Boavida et al. (editors), 2006.
* Allon Percus, Gabriel Istrate and Cristopher Moore, When Statistical Physics Meets Computation, Oxford University Press, Santa Fe Institute Lectures in the Sciences of Complexity, ISBN 019517738X, Computational Complexity and Statistical Physics, 2005.
* Gabriel Istrate, On two generalizations of the Darboux property, Real Analysis Exchange, 17(2), 1992.
* Gabriel Istrate, Sums of continuous and Darboux functions, Real Analysis Exchange, 20 (2), 1995.
* Gabriel Istrate, Madhav V. Marathe and S. S. Ravi, Adversarial scheduling in discrete models of social dynamics, Mathematical Structures in Computer Science, 22(5), 2012.
* Cristian Calude, Gabriel Istrate and Marius Zimand, Recursive Baire Classification and Speedable Functions, Zeitschrift fur Mathematical Logik und Grundlagen der Mathematik (now called Mathematical Logic Quarterly), 38(1), 1992.
* Cristian Calude and Gabriel Istrate, Determining and Stationary Sets for Some Classes of Partial Recursive Functions, Theoretical Computer Science, 82(1), 1991.
* Gabriel Istrate, Gheorghe Paun, Some Combinatorial Properties of Self-reading Sequences, Discrete Applied Mathematics, 55(1), 1994.
* Gabriel Istrate, Self-reading sequences, Discrete Applied Mathematics, 50(2), 1994.
* Gabriel Istrate, The Strong Equivalence of ET0L Grammars, Information Processing Letters, 62(4), 1997.
* Gabriel Istrate, Counting, Structure Identification and Maximum Consistency for Binary Constraint Satisfaction Problems, Springer Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1330, G. Smolka, Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming - CP 1997, Linz, Austria, 1997.
* Russell Bent, Michael Schear, Lane Hemaspaandra and Gabriel Istrate, A Note on Bounded-Weight Error-Correcting Codes, Springer Verlag, Journal of Universal Computer Science, 5 (12), 1999.
* Allon Percus, Gabriel Istrate and Cristopher Moore (editors), Computational Complexity and Statistical Physics, Oxford University Press, Santa Fe Institute Studies in the Sciences of Complexity, ISBN 019517738X, 2005.
* Christopher L. Barrett, Gabriel Istrate, V.S. Anil Kumar, Madhav V. Marathe, Shripad Thite and Sunil Thulasidasan, Strong Edge Coloring for Channel Assignment in Wireless Radio Networks, IEEE Computer Society Press, ISBN 0-7695-2520-2, Proceedings of the Fourth IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing (PERCOMW'06), Workshop on Foundations and Algorithms for Wireless Networking, 2006.
* Cristopher Moore, Gabriel Istrate, Demetrios Demopoulos and Moshe Y. Vardi, A Continuous-Discontinuous Second-Order Transition in the Satisfiability of Random Horn-SAT Formulas, Random Structures and Algorithms, 31(2), 2007.
* Gabriel Istrate, Threshold properties of random boolean constraint satisfaction problems, Discrete Applied Mathematics, 153 (1-3), 2005.
* Gabriel Istrate, On the satisfiability of random k-Horn formulae, AMS-DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, P. Winkler and J. Nesetril, "Computational Complexity and Statistical Physics", 2004.
* Gabriel Istrate, Stephan Boettcher and Allon Percus, Spines of Random Constraint Satisfaction Problems: Definition and Connection with Computational Complexity, Annals of Mathematics and Artificial Intelligence, 44 (4), 2005.
* Dimitris Achlioptas, Arthur Chtcherba, Gabriel Istrate and Cristopher Moore, The phase transition in 1-in-k SAT and NAE 3SAT, Proceedings of the Twelfth ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA'01), Washington, DC, USA, 2001.
* Gabriel Istrate, Computational Complexity and Phase Transitions, Proceedings of the 15th I.E.E.E. Conference on Computational Complexity, 2000.
* Leslie A. Goldberg, Catherine Greenhill, Martin Dyer, Gabriel Istrate and Mark Jerrum, The convergence of the Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma game, Combinatorics, Probability and Computing, 11, 2002.
* Gabriel Istrate, The Phase Transition in Random Horn satisfiability and its algorithmic implications, Random Structures and Algorithms, vol. 20 no. 4, 2002.